Are You Able to Sell Your Manufactured Home?

Over the course of my real estate career, I have had many people ask to put their manufactured home on the market for sale.  As a REALTOR®, I certainly can help you with this as long as we have one main requirement: the manufactured home must be PERMANENTLY attached to the land you are selling it with.

If you are unsure if your manufactured home is retrofitted, you can determine this with the following questions:

1.  Do you have a FHA/Conventional loan? Or is it eligible for one of these loans?

2. Do you have 1 tax record for both the land and home?

3.  Does your home have permanent skirting made of material such as brick, stone or concrete?

If you answered NO to any of these questions, your home probably needs to be retrofitted.  You may be asking yourself “What’s the big deal? Why do I need to figure this out”?  Here are a couple of reasons to consider. In order to sell and issue a title policy, the home must be permanently anchored.  Title wise, the land and home must also be tied together. If not, the home is considered “personal property” as opposed to real estate. For the home to be eligible to sell to a buyer with a traditional mortgage (i.e. FHA or Conventional), it must also meet these requirements.  The lender does not want to have the risk of the home being able to be moved  from the property and lose its collateral value for the mortgage.

If you are purchasing a manufactured home directly from the company itself to place on your lot, make sure the conversation of retrofitting or permanently attaching the home comes up.  Although this is not a requirement when buying directly (whether paying cash or through the mobile home’s own financing), it is important to know that if you ever to choose to sell in the future, retrofitting must be done.  It may even be less expensive for the manufacturer home company to retrofit while they are doing the installation.

If you find yourself in a situation where you are needing to get the home retrofitted on your own.  It may be best to go through a reputable retrofit company.  They will be able remove any axles that may still be present, install a permanent skirting and anchor it to the land.  Lastly, a structural engineer should be able to issue a certificate of retrofit once these items have been complete.

Hope this is helpful!

Be Sociable, Share!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *